NCD Child is a global multi-stakeholder coalition, established in 2011 from a child-focused working group of the NCD Alliance. It champions the rights and needs of children, adolescents, and young people who are living with or at risk of developing non-communicable diseases (NCDs). NCD Child is a leading voice engaging in NCD advocacy through education, awareness-raising, and broad participation in the global health and development discourse.
NCD Child’s Secretariat is hosted at the Centre for Global Child Health at The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The SickKids Centre for Global Child Health provides a dedicated hub for global child health-focused activities and connects researchers and health-care professionals around the world. Prior to 2020, the Secretariat was hosted at the American Pediatric Association from 2014 to 2019.
Purpose and objectives of consultancy
NCD Child is completing the final year of a three-year Strategic Plan (2020- 2022). NCD Child is seeking a strategic planning consultant to review the current strategic plan and support the development of an updated three-year strategy for the period of 2023-2025 to guide NCD Child’s work. This work will be carried out through discussions with NCD Child leadership, select partners and collaborators.The strategic planning process will have the following objectives:
- Conduct a High-Level Review: A high-level review of NCD Child’s previous work, including an assessment of the progress of NCD Child against the four strategic pillars of the current Strategic Plan (2020-2022). The review should identify key areas for further development, based on an understanding of the current global NCD space, including anticipation of future trends and mitigation/adaptation measures based on COVID-19 realities and funding streams between 2020-2022.
- Develop Framework: Based on the results of the review, create a draft outline for the new strategic framework (2023-2025), including updated strategic objectives for consultation and discussion. This document will form the basis for consultation.
- Conduct Consultations: Facilitate stakeholder consultations on the draft framework and incorporate feedback into a finalized strategy document for discussion with NCD Child Secretariat and Executive Committee.
- Submit Final Strategic Plan: Present the strategic plan for 2023-2025 to NCD Child’s Executive Committee and Governing Council for ratification and adoption.
The consultant is at liberty to propose methodology that would adequately result in the expected deliverables outlined in this request for proposal (RFP). Ideally, the consultant will employ qualitative methods to gain information and perspective from appropriate documents and selected stakeholders. A participatory approach together with critical reflection by the Executive Committee, Governing Council, Secretariat and key stakeholders will make the process meaningful.
The following steps are highly recommended for the process:
- Review NCD Child’s vision, mission, core values, and strategic goal and objectives
- Review relevant NCD Child documents including policy documents, reports, web materials, courses/workshop details, all publications, and other related documents
- Conduct consultative forums/interviews with relevant stakeholders including NCD Child Governing Council/ Executive Committee members, secretariat staff, donors, and other stakeholders
- Assess and analyze data, and identify strategic areas, strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats in the implementation of the current strategic plan to inform the development of the new strategy
- Identify the implications of the proposed strategic plan in terms of operations and system
- Present findings and draft strategic plan to Executive Committee
- Draft and finalize the strategic plan based on feedback from members of NCD Child’s Executive Committee and/or Governing Council
- Submit final strategic plan
- High-level review document outlining the implementation of the current strategic plan, gaps and opportunities
- Draft strategic framework for consultation
- Final strategic plan
The review and draft strategic framework development is expected to be completed in 30 working days from the date of the signing of the contract. All other activities will be completed as per outlined timelines:
- Consultant reviews and evaluates past strategic plan and outcome
- Consultant drafts strategic framework
- Results of evaluation and proposed strategic framework shared with NCD Child Executive Committee
- Executive Committee meets to discuss review and shares feedback
- Consultant revises strategic framework based on feedback
- Share review and framework with NCD Child Governing Council for feedback
- Feedback from Governing Council shared with Consultant
- Consultant revises framework based on feedback
- Submission of final strategic plan by October 15, 2022
Competencies, experience and skill requirements
- Demonstrated track record of successfully facilitating participatory strategy development
- Demonstrated experience in facilitating organizational development of non-profit organizations, including in relation to the development/revision of organizational structures
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders around the world
- Knowledge of the global health sector and/or the global NCD community
- Clarifying questions to be submitted by March 9, 2022
- Response to questions: March 15, 2022
- RFP Submissions Deadline: Midnight Eastern Standard Time (12 a.m. EST), March 25, 2022
- Contract awarded: April 15, 2022
- Work plan due: May 6, 2022
- Budget: USD $30,000 maximum
All applicants will need to include in their proposals
- Their approach to delivery of the strategic planning objectives described above;
- Past experience working with similar organizations, including global health and NCD-related programs;
- The methods/philosophy that will be used to facilitate the strategic planning process;
- How the planning results will be captured/reported; and
- The overall fee for this project.
This project will be tendered at the discretion of the NCD Child Executive Committee. The Executive Committee will review and make a decision based on experience in the sector, plan to meet the proposal outcomes and best overall value for the product. Nothing in this request for proposal mandates that NCD Child is obliged to award a contract under this RFP.
Thank you for your interest. Should you have any questions and/or comments, please contact the NCD Child Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your quote via email to email@example.com no later than 12 a.m. EST on March 25, 2022.